speratus said:
How can any teaching that must be deduced from scripture through a process of human reasoning be anything more than a pious opinion? Doesn't scripture alone establish church doctrine not scripture plus human reason? Is not double predestination itself merely a human opinion with no basis in scripture alone?

Well my "alien" friend [Linked Image] I don't know how "you" derive biblical doctrine apart from "human reason", but the rest of us mortals have been consigned to use our brains by our Creator for that task. Double Predestination is a doctrine which can be deduced from the Scriptures with confidence of its verity, albeit the exact details of the "order of the decrees" is admittedly speculative and thus the differences expressed by the supras and infras. I think Bavinck has taken the right approach in his articles. Obviously, the doctrine of "Predestination" proper is offensive to the unregenerate mind as history shows including such individuals who lived during the time of Paul. (cf. Rom 9:14f)

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]