Boanerges said:

Just because one uses the word reprobation does not mean that he is assigning the same meaning to the word. Whether people here agree with him or not I think Speratus is very clear as to his definition of reprobation.

The point Steve is that Luther speaks of reprobation in the same way that Calvin speaks of it. Whether Speratus recognizes that or not means nothing. The point is that Luther taught double predestination.

Section 66 was footnoted by Calvinist translator, Henry Cole, because he recognized Luther was teaching against the Calvinist doctrine of reprobation:

Here Luther's explanation of Matthew 23 is to be read with discretion. Although God and Christ have two distinct wills, their wills are not contrary to one another. An accurate exposition of this passage can be found in Calvin's Commentaries, found below.—

Cole then quotes extensively from Calvin to prove that Luther is wrong in his understanding of Matt. 23:37. But the Formula of Concord agrees with Luther (i.e., The God Incarnate "was sent for this purpose—that He might desire, speak, do, suffer, and offer unto all, all things that are necessary unto salvation"):

Formula, SD, Free Will
But if a man will not hear preaching nor read God's Word, but despises the Word and congregation of God, and thus dies and perishes in his sins, he neither can comfort himself with God's eternal election nor obtain His mercy; for Christ, in whom we are chosen, offers to all men His grace in the Word and holy Sacraments, and wishes earnestly that it be heard, and has promised that where two or three are gathered together in His name and are occupied with His holy Word, He will be in their midst.
58] But when such a person despises the instrument of the Holy Ghost, and will not hear, no injustice is done to him if the Holy Ghost does not enlighten him, but allows him to remain in the darkness of his unbelief and to perish; for regarding this matter it is written: How often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings; and ye would not! Matt. 23, 37.

Last edited by speratus; Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:55 AM.